My Blog List

Thursday, November 8, 2007

What A Wonderful Life!

That was our wedding song...What A Wonderful Life. 11 years ago today, I was up at 4:15 frying eggplant, onions & peppers, trying to organize one of the many platters of food I was cooking and preparing for our 68 guests to enjoy, later that day, occasionally checking the dripping"Blazing Cinnamon" haircolor piled high on my spiky locks, a strip of color on each eyebrow to keep it all natural! HA!!!! (There hasnt been anything natural on this kid since the 70s!!!!) I was 15 minutes late for our wedding...did you actually think I wouldnt have shown up???? (rabid pitbulls wouldnt have kept me from my handsome groom that day!)

Anyway, I was buzzin around my kitchen really too busy to have been doing what I should have been doing, which was thanking God in advance for blessing me with this man in which I was about to embark on one of the wildest journeys in my life. Eleven married years but 18 together. God knows how grateful I am for this man who has relentless amounts of energy, enthusiasm for life, and his continued commitment to do the best he can loving me...whats a few facial twitches?

Im sure anyone who knows Ronnie and or I (personally) are probably thinking... WHAT???? Its not all been Nirvana or Bliss. And theyre right, besides, who doesnt occasionally feel like smothering their significant other while he sleeps peacefully, after a night of arguing about whos right, wrong, or to blame???? No "hot monkey, make up, sex" for us.... but the blessing for me, is that were still together. Not for the kids....theyre gone...not for the house...we dont own one...not for the money...we dont have any! I also remember a few years ago when physical seperation had been necessary, I think most people grieved as much as we had. When we were ready, Ronnie and I had made the commitment to put forth any energy and hard work into maintaining, & improving our marriage rather than the draining energy & heartbreak it would take to physically leave, establish 15 years worth of closure, and then START ALL OVER AGAIN being single???...Oh no... besides... Im not nearly done driving him crazy with my "Lucy Moments" "Reality check for Kat"... Who would put up with my messy and always missing dining room table thats disappeared under piles of fabric, thread, paints and supplies? Who would know instinctively to slam on the brakes when were driving, and there are a gazillion perfect pinecones,& thistles, to be rescued, or a piece of bark that looks like a Santa or Snowman head? Who would patiently drive me to a folk art craft show in the blinding snow, when he came home for a hot sandwhich, coffee,& tylenol, while plowing? My husband... thats who.

Ronnie is 6feet 4inches tall, has long brown & recently peppered hair kept in a long braid, or pony tail, has tattooed sleeved arms, wears a skull cap, jeans, work boots, and a black leather jacket, & is told all the time he resembles actor "Steven Segal" (without the bloated face)...on Steven not Ronnie! LOL
Hes half Lakota Sioux & his high cheekbones, & twinkling eyes have gotten both into, and out of alot of trouble in our relationship! I envy his spirit of expectancy, and that natural part of his personality that keeps him constantly laughing & smiling, even when there isnt much to smile about. His love for Jesus & life just shines through his eyes. He asks me all the time when Im a doubting Thomas..."Do you know who my Daddy Is?"All is well in Ronnies world.

I used to think wed never see our first 5 years, its no secret there was alot of painful times before we both surrendered and accepted Gods mercy, love, & amazing grace. We courageously made the conscious decision to change our lives, & then we both commited to the long healing process from addiction. I believe God rewards effort, and man, have we been blessed. BEYOND our wildest dreams have we been touched. There isnt a scientific reason I can think of as to why either of us should be alive, and or together...never mind unwrapping this wild ride of life.

I believe age has also mellowed us. We love a very simple lifestyle. Its a good thing we both love primitive...Id be screwed if I was as passionate for a contemporary expensive decorating style!

We are both nuts over flea market finds, tag sales, or thrown away goodies orphaned on the curb awaiting the garbage truck! We drag it home, clean it, strip it, paint it, distress it, and make it worthy again and give it a second chance to bless someone....hhhmmm, kind of like what God did with us!!!! Sometimes Ronnie will find a piece that just "calls" him to woodburn it. He had such a "calling" recently when he took an old oval end table, & worked his magic on it .He burned a magnificent, kick ass Harley Davidson on this table...I know our home is completely Olde American, but if it doesnt sell, it will grace a corner of the bedroom, w/ the rest of our Native American collectables, & aniques. He a phenomenal artist and a professional welder/fabricator and is planning on designing and welding funky holiday lawn ornaments! I cannot wait until he unleashes those unbridled ideas.

So Happy Anniversery Ronnie. I thank you for not giving up when anyone else would have bailed, and have, I never had to worry about what your ass or elbows looked like, you were always by my side, loving me, supporting, encouraging me, researching the variety of medical diagnosis' Ive suffered with, all the business risks I took, some good, some not so good, always celebrating, or embracing whatever crazy idea I have had about carrying the message or helping another addict seeking recovey, usually at the most inconvenient of times, you understood thats why they were called crisis'. Weve stood on many street corners handing out sandwhiches, cigarettes, and resource numbers, with hopes of saving another brother or sister, from this devestating & potentially fatal disease of addiciton. I love the way you love.

Thank you for loving our 2 sons as if they were your own flesh and blood. They adore you too. They always came to you first, when they were in trouble. I dont blame them, you were always so calm, non judgemental, and always offered a solution, before I ever knew what was going on. You provided them with the cushion, when I was busy being the hysterical Mom. Thank you for being such an amazing grampa to our furbabies "Opie" & Mr. O'Malley who thrive for your affection when all you want to do is come home ,have your coffee and take them boots off. Off to the park you go for Opies daily constitutional. I thank you for being my number one fan when I create anything. When I recently woke you up from a sound sleep all excited to show you that 3 of my painted projects were included on a famous artists website...I asked you if you wanted my autograph...you did! (God I love you)
Dolls, body parts, snowmen, and paint come sometimes long before dinner does, and still you look at me with all the wonder in your heart, and you melt mine...time and time again...you have made my life... a wonderful life.

3 comments:

JohnnyLaw said...

Happy anniversary Mom and Ron. I miss and love you both - and you got the part about us adoring Ron - I don't know what we would've done without him. He told us men wear boxer shorts - and the constriction has been gone ever since. I'm glad you've both weathered the years and are happy together may you have decades more!

kat449 said...

Thank you my sweet son...I thank God for you, but still wonder what I ever did to deserve you, your brother, & Ronnie. You taught me so much being my firstborn. Have I ever thanked you for that? I think you know.I am a privilidged woman. and I love you too... big hugs, Mom. Be safe copper!!!!

Blondie ~ Vintage Primitives said...

Hi kat!
Sorry that I missed this anniversary! I was on my way outta town;
I felt very connected with you for this session; now let's get ready for Christmas!
Blondie